Colwick Woods was designated as a geological Site of Special Scientific Interest in 1995 and listed as a Local Nature Reserve in 2004. This site is particularly suitable for walking with a number of well maintained public rights of way paths spanning the woods. Colwick Woods also offers some panoramic views of the Trent Valley – as far as Belvoir Castle – and across the City.
The centre of the site is dominated by a former golf course, which is now managed as a playing field and wildflower meadow. The diverse ancient woodlands are characterised by ash, elm, oak, field maple and beech, with dog’s mercury and ivy dominating the ground flora it is home to many beetles, including a rare leaf beetle. Colwick Woods is also rich in mammal species including the pipistrelle and noctule bats.
Historians believe that this site has been woodland since the early 1600’s, possibly longer, but is typical of those found along the steep land bounding the Trent Flood Plain in parts of the site. In addition parts of the woodland have also been closely associated with Colwick Hall as identified by an old Ice House found on the site.